The transition of winter to spring feels more exciting to me with each passing year. Maybe it's the longer daylight hours, maybe it signifies entering a season of getting outside with more ease, maybe because all that's been tucked away for the winter is emerging, and growth is evident all around.
We've had a lot of rain, with a few sunny days mixed in. I'm looking forward to starting our garden again this year, refining a few details from last year, and trying some new things.
Apart from that, here are a few things we've been up to lately:
- playing with bubbles (a fun gift for Cooper from a friend's birthday party) during a break in the rain. Both boys had a blast, and I think that comes through in the photos above.
- eating soups, namely, my hearty beef and vegetable stew and this wild rice soup (I add whole boneless chicken thighs during the first pressure cook, then remove them for the second pressure cook, and it makes for fall apart tender chicken in the soup). I also use einkorn flour for the roux and/or raw cream.
- going on scooter walks again, and visiting the neighborhood park with daddy
- cleaning out the cars for spring, inside and out, and the boys had fun playing in the bed of the truck
- I watched a video on how to fold hand knit socks and it's so satisfying! My sock drawer is looking a lot tidier now.
- watercolors by Coop, painted to become a card for a little buddy of his
- pulling out the teapot Nicholas gave me when we were dating to make afternoon tea for the family. Cooper loves this ritual.
- Cooper loves to borrow my phone and take pictures of anything and everything. Aside from typically (very) unflattering photos of me and Nicholas, sometimes his more abstract pictures are neat.
- Hours and hours of playing with Legos and cars and vehicles, lining them up all over house.
And this week, we went on a hike with friends at one of our favorite local preserves, including lots of creek play and a lot of time climbing on a large pile of gravel. We left very wet and sandy and the best kind of tired.
I'm looking forward to warmer days and more adventures with our little family. Looking forward to more sunshine, and buds on trees becoming leaves, and all the fresh, seasonal beauty that spring brings.
In some very real ways, autumn felt like it lasted for only a few weeks. September was a very warm month–hot even–and then our temperatures quickly dipped from the seventies to the low fifties and forties. I love this time of year, so I savored any adventure we had amongst the fall color.
We've been up to some fun things over the past few weeks, and I figured it was time for a little catch up!
Today, the air felt different. Cooler and more crisp. Filled with anitcipation. The last several weeks since my last "life lately" post, have been filled with a lot of summery fun and they've felt full. I might be getting ahead of myself, since it was in the upper eighties this past weekend, but decidedly, I love the shift that comes with slightly cooler weather. Nevertheless, here are some things we've been up to in recent weeks: