I love the rain. It feels like a special treat here in Austin, too, since it's not too often we get one of these rainy, gloomy, cozy days. And it's a Sunday, so it already feels like a day to slow down. Here's how I'm spending it:
- Eating cardamom cake for breakfast (with eggs and sausage too, for protein or balance? ;)
- Making soup, specifically, the creamy chicken and rice soup from one of my favorite cookbooks. It's rainy day comfort food and makes for the best leftovers
- the smell of sage (a key ingredient in the soup) reminds me of all things cozy
- Baking my favorite granola—Man, does our home smell good today. I really should make this every week.
- Going makeup-free and embracing the I haven't touched my hair since I woke up look, maybe a little too much(?)
- Listening to Fossil Collective's Tell Where I Lie
- Modeling for a few fairly-awkward shots of my newest Nick cowl
- Catching up on and reading a few crafts blogs: Fringe Association and The Craft Sessions
- Running through the rain with groceries up to our third floor apartment
- Doing a few loads of laundry (scrubs won't wash themselves)
- A new worsted-weight knitting project. After working on projects with thinner yarn, this one is flying!
- More consistent yoga practice to help with sore, tight muscles after a few shifts in a row
- Working on writing part II of our love story (here's a link to part I, if you missed it)
- Brainstorming how we're gonna celebrate our third wedding anniversary next week!
It's tempting to settle into the melancholy on rainy days, but I'm not going to. Let's find the good in rainy days. I'm gonna start with another round of aeropress coffee. How about you?
Looking back at my recent posts, I realized it has been a long time since I wrote a little post about "life lately." I've written about things in our life, yes, like Cooper turning four, a visit to our friends in Bloomington, a visit from my family, a trip to the beach and the one year anniversary of my mother-in-law's passing, recent knitting and other creative projects, and some updates about our garden this year. But I haven't written a post with the little mish-mash bits of life since early June. So here I am now, playing a little bit of catch up.
It's been awhile since a "life lately" post where I write about all the little bits and pieces of our life. This spring has been a rather cold one, but just this past weekend, we are seeing much warmer temperatures and the weather seems to be catching up with the date on the calendar. As someone who enjoys the colder months, I will say that spring and summer feel a bit magical with kids, and logistically, lots of things just feel easier as the temperatures are more mild.
Starting sometime in the fall, I made a point to be a bit more creative and find new to us trails to hike on and explore. Since then, we have found several new favorites for when we are in the mood for a hike, regardless of the season.