Sewing is enjoyable for me, although it still feels much more "uphill," for me. I'm rather particular about how my clothes fit me, so it only makes sense that I would be more intentional about planning how they fit, rather than flying by the seat of my pants. I had never made a muslin, but I'm realizing that this is a great time investment, especially as I make more considered fabric purchases for clothing.

A muslin allows you you test the fit and feel of a pattern with a less precious fabric, so you know what adjustments need to be made. And in this case, my muslin turned out to be an extremely wearable top. Bonus points for feeling more informed and confident about the size I chose, knowing that it fits me well, before cutting out my "final" version in the fabric I bought for my Summer of Basics make-a-long.

Nicholas took a few photos of me wearing this top when we went to the farmer's market this weekend, right before we melted. ;)

Next up will be a dress version in rust-colored double gauze (so soft!) that I'm hoping to have finished in time to wear it for our five-year wedding anniversary later this month.

The details

Pattern: Klein dress, modified into a top, for practicality, and because I didn't have enough fabric to make a dress version.

Size: US 2-4, fits me well

Fabric: printed quilting fabric I've had in my stash for years. I figured that it would be too stiff, especially with a voluminous pattern like this, but I was pleasantly surprised. I used almost exactly 1.5 yards for this top version.

Modifications & notes: Cut bottom "skirt" pieces to 12 inches in length. Serge all raw edges. Straps are 11", at finished length

Next time: No mods for now! It is a rather generous cut, but I wouldn't want it to fit much closer because there aren't any closures; you just pull it over your head. And the weight of the skirt in a knee-length version should pull it in a bit.