I frequently say that I want to be "a lifelong learner." It's a true sentiment, and it's not limited to dedicated time set aside to learn something. Even ordinary weeks afford plenty of lessons, if I only choose to learn them. When I sat down to write this post, I started with four bullet points. And then, the list grew longer and longer and it was a fun exercise to see the all there is to learn in a normal week. These are my favorites:
- The history behind Downton Abbey (what people of the era ate, wore, how they traveled, etc.) from A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey. I've been in a bit of a rut with reading, but ever since I checked this out from the library, I can't put it down!
- How to be a camp nurse, thanks to Camp in the City (P.S.: camp food = best food and I'll have a side of guac with everything)
- What the grocery store is like after 9pm, post-college (weird/sad, but also kind of fun?)
- My thorough enjoyment of the music of Trampled by Turtles and The Lumineers' newest album, Cleopatra
- The comfort and hope of the gospel in our sometimes heartbreaking world
- How to make the best of a Saturday when Nicholas has to work: head downtown to a coffee shop so he can work and I can knit and read
- How to get both of us to exercise, since it's easier to be extra-homebodies when he works from home: go for an early morning walk around the neighborhood or disc golf together
- How to throw a driver (longest range disc) when playing disc golf
- The versatility and wearability of my chacos. They take me from the grocery store to the disc golf course, on a walk, and a trip downtown, with plenty of support and no blisters.
- That it's a great idea to add avocado to your shrimp/rice pattie/veggie stir fry from Koriente
- How sweaty you get when you walk 25 blocks downtown when its 100 degrees outside (very)
- How to gracefully eat an ice cream cone when it's 100 degrees (Just kidding—it's impossible. I had ice cream on my shirt and my pants and also in my hair).
- That sometimes it is necessary to take two showers in one day (see two previous bullet points)
- How much fun it is to be married to Nicholas
These are lessons that I'm more than happy to learn, and I'll take a side of guacamole with that, please.
In some very real ways, autumn felt like it lasted for only a few weeks. September was a very warm month–hot even–and then our temperatures quickly dipped from the seventies to the low fifties and forties. I love this time of year, so I savored any adventure we had amongst the fall color.
We've been up to some fun things over the past few weeks, and I figured it was time for a little catch up!
Today, the air felt different. Cooler and more crisp. Filled with anitcipation. The last several weeks since my last "life lately" post, have been filled with a lot of summery fun and they've felt full. I might be getting ahead of myself, since it was in the upper eighties this past weekend, but decidedly, I love the shift that comes with slightly cooler weather. Nevertheless, here are some things we've been up to in recent weeks: