Whenever we have family time, we cherish it. So this past week, when Nicholas' parents and his sister (and their two pups!) came to visit, we were thrilled. We stayed in and around Austin for the most part, visiting local restaurants and parks and devoting time to puppy snuggling.
We ate, we drank coffee, & we did a bit of shopping. More specifically:
- Breakfasts: scrambled eggs and toast, bagels, or cereal and fruit, most days
- Lunches: Rudy's BBQ (a classic), Torchy's Tacos (a favorite), Flower Child (another favorite), and lunch at home between hikes, and packed sandwiches, eaten at a trailhead.
- Suppers: neapolitan pizza from The Backspace for Mother's Day dinner, Flower Child (we ate their food twice), and Picnik
- Ice cream: Lick Honest Ice Creams, a little side walk shop for twist cones
- Donuts: Round Rock Donuts
- Iced mochas and coffee: Thunderbird and Caffe Medici
- Shopping: trips to the outlet mall, LUSH, and REI
We visited parks and hiked, specifically:
- Day hikes, within 30 minutes of home: St. Edward's Park, Walnut Creek, and another park close to home that has a great dog park
- another Day hike, requiring (a beautiful!) drive through Hill Country, and well worth it for the vistas: Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge
Some other of my favorite, less-categorizable bits of the week:
- face masks + foot baths + hand scrubs for an at-home spa night
- laughing until I cry with my sister-in-law, Katelyn
- guessing mid- and late-2000's bands from the first few seconds of a song
- wearing our chacos + sunglasses + sunscreen every day
- chaco tan lines
- making crispy orange shrimp & roasted brussel sprouts with Katelyn for a family dinner
- a big breakfast at home
- hiking directly in the creek bed to cool our feet off
- potato chips on sandwiches
- watching The Office
- ice cream with sprinkles
- snacking on KIND granola
- playing Ticket to Ride
- Katelyn sleeping on our couch, which made every night like a sleepover
- and about a million moments of puppies sitting on our laps (can you tell that one pup in particular likes to be on a lap as much as possible? ;) Teddy and Nicholas are the best of buddies.
It was a really, really wonderful, restful week. We love you guys and can't wait for the next time we get to do a bit of life together!
Looking back at my recent posts, I realized it has been a long time since I wrote a little post about "life lately." I've written about things in our life, yes, like Cooper turning four, a visit to our friends in Bloomington, a visit from my family, a trip to the beach and the one year anniversary of my mother-in-law's passing, recent knitting and other creative projects, and some updates about our garden this year. But I haven't written a post with the little mish-mash bits of life since early June. So here I am now, playing a little bit of catch up.
It's been awhile since a "life lately" post where I write about all the little bits and pieces of our life. This spring has been a rather cold one, but just this past weekend, we are seeing much warmer temperatures and the weather seems to be catching up with the date on the calendar. As someone who enjoys the colder months, I will say that spring and summer feel a bit magical with kids, and logistically, lots of things just feel easier as the temperatures are more mild.
Starting sometime in the fall, I made a point to be a bit more creative and find new to us trails to hike on and explore. Since then, we have found several new favorites for when we are in the mood for a hike, regardless of the season.