This morning, we woke up to my alarm at 6:30, then snoozed a few times, sluggish to get out of bed. It was a foggy, dreamy morning. The kind where I could almost pretend there were snow flurries falling, if I closed my eyes and thought about it. But the fog set a cozy tone for the day.
It was a day of a lot of ordinary things, and a few special ones:
- eating leftover pancakes and bacon (from breakfast for dinner last night). For about 90% of work nights, we eat breakfast food when I get home. Last night's dinner meant an easy breakfast today.
- drinking my favorite peppermint rooibus tea
- meal planning a bit, but not too much, since we're anticipating a trip up north to see my family this weekend!
- getting dressed in jeans, and a swingy, comfy top, and a necklace my friend Maeve made for me
- using up the rest of a glossier moisturizer sample, applying concealer, a little eyeliner, mascara, powder, bronzer, and Boy Brow (my all-time fave—and honestly everyone else's favorite too, I think?!)
- stopping by a sweet friend's home on her due date(!) to have one last coffee and chat pre-baby, which felt very special and also very normal(?!)
- her sweet dog, Midna, snuggled up with me on the couch
- drinking coffee out of mugs from Northern MN her mom gave her
- driving to Costco
- adding avocado oil, gf crackers, frozen cauliflower pizza (can't say I make the best choices when I'm a hungry shopper, but at least it's healthy-ish convenience food), chicken stock, snacks for Nicholas, and a pair of short, black leather booties (super cute!) to my cart
- driving to HEB for my more normal grocery trip, and more meat, produce, and supplies to make an appetizer for Nicholas to take to a work potluck on Friday
- driving to a local elementary school to vote
- knitting in line, as I wait for my chance to vote
- heading home, putting away the groceries, tidying up, lighting a few new 100% soy candles, starting the diffuser
- facing what is sometimes an anxious time of day for me, head-on
- hopping in the shower
- folding laundry and listening to Bing Crosby
- calling Nicholas on his commute home and keeping the phone on speaker so I can chop veggies while we talk
- making "Thanksgiving in a bowl" a la chicken in the IP(settings, etc. at the bottom of this recipe post), seasoned with sage, allspice, S+P, garlic powder; thrown in a bowl with oven-roasted fingerling potatoes, and oven-roasted onions
- acting as Nicholas' designated Rubik's cube messer-upper ;) so that he can fix it over and over again
- doing a little Christmas shopping
And now I suppose I should go clean the kitchen and put a batch of baked PB oatmeal in the oven, since tomorrow is a work day for me. Before bed, I'd like to knit a few more rows, read some in my library book, and look up/review a few Bible verses I have bookmarked for memorization. There's another load of laundry to fold, and all of that will probably take me to bedtime. I suppose I should get to it. ;)
Days like this aren't full of unusual things, but just little bits of sweetness. I want to notice the sweetness in the midst of the ordinary, the foggy mornings, the stolen knitting time, the methodical supper prep, the joy in the everyday.
Get the latest posts delivered to your inbox