Tundra Jumper, finished

It may seem an odd time to blog about a completed knitted sweater, but why not? I find myself knitting a lot these days, and finding enjoyment (peace?) in bringing projects to completion. I'm close to wrapping up some long-term projects, and it's satisfying and consoling to tie up loose ends or make progress in ways that I can, even if it's on a knitted object.

This sweater has been "finished" for a little while, but even before the yoke was finished, I had a feeling that the proportions may be off. For my body shape, anyway. And so, after completing the neckline, I set about figuring out how to modify this (bottom-up) knit sweater to be more wearable.

First, I determined how much of the body I wanted to remove, and marked that with removable stitch markers.

Then, referencing Episode 33 of Fruity Knitting, I cut into my sweater body, and carefully unraveled it.

In their how-to, she puts live stitches on a needle first. I fiddled around with this for awhile, and finally gave up, since the texture and color of the yarn made it difficult to see the rows clearly, and because the rustic nature of the yarn made it very unlikely for the stitches to wildly unravel. I transferred the live stitches from both pieces onto to long circular needles. And then, using kitchener stitch, grafted the pieces together, being careful not to pull too tight. Léttlopi is strong in knitted form, but a bit fragile in yarn form, so I found it easier to work with shorter pieces of yarn and then spit splice the ends to additional lengths.

Once the grafting was completed, I blocked the sweater one more time, and that was that.

I'm really pleased with it and love the look with high-waisted jeans. We put Cooper in the stroller and the three of us went outside for a few minutes so Nicholas could take some photos. :)

Details

For more details, see my ravelry project page

Yarn: Ístex Léttlopi in four shades. Pattern calls for three, but I liked the look of using a bit of two different greys in addition to the red and black.

Size: I made a modified "medium" size. I did drastically alter the length of the body. In hindsight, the small might have fit my shoulders better, but I'm still happy with this size.

Pattern: Tundra Jumper by thepetiteknitter

Needles: US 4 for ribbing, US 6 for solid st st, US 7 for colorwork, all in various lengths of circular needles. 12" circulars for the sleeves.

Specifics/modifications: Most notably, I cut and grafted the finished sweater to remove 7" in length. Otherwise, I knit this per pattern.


Tags:

Related posts

Finished cozy, improv cowl

This particular project has been on my needles since March of this year. At the very start, it felt like a mindless, but very uphill project. I knit it on size 2 needles, and at first, I had to look down a lot as I knit, and it just felt slow. But bit by bit, I picked it up and worked on it.

2 min read

2021: A knitting year in review

Each year, I enjoy glancing back and making note of what knitting projects I worked on and completed throughout the year, noticing trends or patterns in my making. I've noticed that my creativity or how my creative pursuits "serve" me in a given season can vary widely depending on life circumstances.

3 min read

Christmas crafting for gifting and home

Over the last several months, I've been working on several Christmas crafts—both sewing and knitting. Some are for our own home as decor, and most are gifts. Since some were mailed off relatively early or opened at early Christmas celebrations, I can now share them here, just in time for Christmas. The links with the knitting projects are to project pages which then include pattern links.

7 min read