I thought I'd touch base on what I've been up to lately, creatively. I've actually been making a lot of things, many of which I haven't shared yet, since they were or are going to be gifts, and I wanted to share them only after the intended recipient received them. Lately, its been a healthy mix of sewing and knitting. Sewing tends to come in furious bursts, since it requires hauling out the sewing machine and taking over the kitchen table. I've noticed that I generally sew things in multiples (multiple pillow covers, multiple pouches, etc) once I get into a rhythm and enjoy myself. And knitting is, of course, a continuous undertone, week in and week out.
Recently completed projects:
- several zippered pouches, most of which you've seen on the blog, but a few you haven't
- a baby blanket for a friend's baby girl
Planning for future projects:
- a linen top, loose-fitting, maybe Ruby, Fen or the new Hadley top
- a tunic, maybe the Waterfall Raglan, the Matcha Top (with sleeves), Helmi Tunic Dress, or Darling Ranges (version 3)
- a tote, maybe the Explorer Tote or the Wax and Wool Tote
- a few gift items
- some pillow covers for the couch to match the new quilt
- And next month, I signed up to take a class at my local JoAnn's store for a quilted table runner, which should be fun!
- May cardigan―done and blocked, except for some seaming and picking up and knitting a few rows of ribbing at the arm holes.
- Brioche scarf―I have about a foot and a half left of knitting, which in scarfland isn't that much! I'm still really enjoying this pattern, and I tend to work on it here and there, when I'm in the mood.
- Socks for Nicholas―a new project, but I've been planning this one for awhile. I so enjoyed knitting self-patterning socks for myself, plus Nicholas wears his knitted slipper socks all the time and has been asking for another pair. I'm more than happy to oblige.
Planning for future projects:
- Glacier Park Cowl―I'm about to cast this on. Nicholas bought me the yarn (oh-so-special Woolfolk yarn in two shades of blue!) as an early birthday present, and I bought the pattern on sale. My friend Molly is going to make it at the same time and I'm so excited! Just waiting until I have a few days off of work to get started.
- Christmas and gift knitting, mostly
- Maybe Bobbie ― I love this pattern and I've been itching for a lighter-weight stockinette stitch pattern. Plus, stripes.
And I'd say that's plenty for now! What are you working on?
As July comes to a close, I wanted to check in and share some recent projects I've been working on, as well as a few that I've completed. I also wanted to share some creative-focused podcasts I've been enjoying, and some musings about crafting in community and future plans for knitting, sewing, and a brand new, very-beginner skill for me: crochet!
I've been fairly prolific (by my own standards) lately in terms of sewing and knitting and I figured it was time to share some of them! With spring and summery weather, I always feel a shift in terms of my creativity. I still want to knit with wool, but I see myself drawn a bit more towards color or lighter tones and printed fabric. I'll share below what I've been up to!
Spring is here! And with it, I find myself wanting to start all kinds of new projects, but I've been holding onto some self control and trying to wrap up my current projects, somewhat successfully. Since my last check-in, I've finished a few knitting and sewing projects, made progress on some current projects, and made plans for upcoming projects.