Life lately, early summer 2018
My last several blog posts have been about our recent trip, so it has been about a month since I've written about our day-to-day life. I want to write about trips and big heart lessons, anniversaries and birthdays and life changes, but I also I want to record and remember these days of little things. They are worthy, too.
Here are some things, in the format of a little list-type post, about small things I love, that reflect my life, right now, on June 3, 2018. The things I've been up to since we've been home from our trip:
- noticing the corn is already so! big!
- sewing buttons on a knit baby sweater
- preparing the exact same breakfast we (happily) eat at least three hundred days a year (baked PB oatmeal, of course)
- eating homemade challah bread with butter that a friend brought over for us
- playing in the grass, getting sweet baby kisses
- drinking smoothies
- slowly reading Chasing Slow. The perfect read for me right now.
- making trips to the post office
- wearing new scrubs to work
- watching knitting podcasts
- vacuuming our Subaru, vacuuming our home
- hand-winding new (sweater!) yarn slowly
- loving my lighter hair
- noticing morning light patterning above a messy bed
- meal-planning for the first time in months
- baking post-dinner gluten-free Texas Sheet cake (I love that this make a much smaller cake, because it is indulgent. I just subbed in all-purpose gluten-free flour and added a 1/2 tsp cinnamon, just like my mom's recipe)
- celebrating two girlfriends' birthdays with dinner downtown
- ordering a bowl meal (my fave) at a new-to-me restaurant
- walking in 98 ("feels like 110") degree heat
- drinking grape juice in stemmed glasses with ice, after said walk
- photographing sunsets after hard days (my hypothesis stands true so far)
- folding omelettes, for lunch or supper, and filling them with mozz or tomatoes (mine) or sausage or gruyere or ham
- brewing decaf coffee in the afternoons and evenings
- knitting a rather meditative shawl pattern, a Milena shawl
- making these chicken fajitas with this cilantro lime rice, served with sauteed onions and avocado on warm corn tortillas
- not taking my usual number of pictures
- brainstorming which three knitting/sewing patterns I want to choose for the 2018 Summer of Basics challenge
- listening to Emily Freeman's podcast, The Next Right Thing
- savoring this quote by Brennan Manning:
“In the act of silence you’re not waiting for God to make a move. You’re becoming aware of the moves He is making.
My favorite things, late February 2023
Sometimes I enjoy "jotting down" my current favorite things – music or shows, recipes, small purchases worth spending money on, or other little bits and bobs. For me personally, it's a fun snapshot of my life at this very moment, and it might be fun for someone else too.
Life lately, mid-winter 2023
The last several weeks have been a lot of regular life things, overall. Little happinesses sprinkled into everyday life. The boys are always doing new things, and that feels like a privilege to witness.
2022: A year in review
Welcome to my annual post of our life in the last year – a review of all the big and little events, travels, habits, heartbreaks, and joys. These posts require a lot of time and energy, in part due to sifting through all the posts I wrote in the last year, but also because these posts spur me to reflect and sit with the previous year for a moment, before stepping into the next one.