I'm not sure what has gotten into me, but I've been diligent and enthusiastic about making lately. Knitting socks (and a new sweater too) has been so enjoyable for me, and I'm really enjoying the luxury of a better space for sewing. We recently furnished the finished side of our basement (I'll share more photos soon) and it makes for the coziest space. We have both a built in desk that Nicholas made and a round game/puzzle table, so between the two, I have lots of space for projects.
Since I lasted posted about finished projects, I finished two pairs of socks. First, a pair of slipper-type socks for Nicholas. I have only ever knit toe-up socks twice, both times with this pattern. Nicholas has already worn them a few times. The yarn is rustic, but nice to work with, and I tweaked the pattern slightly, specifically at the cuff, to add ribbing instead of garter ridges. Also, my gauge was much different than the pattern gauge, so I knit a child's size (in numbers) for Nicholas size 11 foot. For more details, here is my ravelry project page.
Also in sock news, I finished a pair of springy pink Crunkled socks. So many people are knitting this pattern right now, and for good reason. The texture was compelling to knit (ie the mindset of just a few more rows, just a few more rows before bed), and the resulting socks are very cozy. This yarn spiral pooled subtly, but I don't mind too much. All the notes on these socks are on my project page. Next time, I'd knit a standard toe, since I think the fit is better for my foot. And I knit I would consider knitting the same size, but using US 0 for a tighter gauge. Please don't mind my short nails.
Sewing-wise, I finally worked up the gumption to hem the curtains in Cooper's room, after that had been a looming task in my bullet journal for months. And I sewed some simple curtain for the basement egress windows, using white cotton gauze. I finished the edges of the fabric, then sewed two channels, one at top and one at bottom for two tension rods per window. I think they turned out nice! Definitely add privacy to a space we will use at night, but the sheer fabric allows for a decent amount of light.
Curtains aside, most of my knitting project bags are zippered, which I quite like, but I wanted to try my hand at sewing a drawstring bag. I following Erica Arndt's YouTube tutorial for a Drawstring Squishy Bag with Pocket, and I was so pleased with the process and how the bag turned out. I saw this fabric at Hobby Lobby, bought it, washed it, and had it sewn into a bag within a week. This type of spontaneous sewing suits me well right now.
I chose to sew the whole bag in one fabric, apart from the lining, and I'm pleased with the more subtle look. I especially love the quilting on it, and how the front panel has vertical quilting lines and the pocket has horizontal. It came together quickly and used up small pieces of cotton quilt batting I already had on hand. I would already like to make another one, maybe this time in a more neutral fabric? We shall see. The size is very handy for several different types of knitting projects.
For works in progress, I'm knitting on a new sweater cast-on using a sweater quantity of the most beautiful marled yarn. And of course, I have a pair of socks on the go, since the balance of two projects, different in scale, is ideal for the creative part of my brain to stay inspired without becoming overwhelmed.
I'm curious; what are you making? :)
It's been some time since I wrote a post about my creative projects, and since a lot of my creative energy has gone to smaller projects like socks and accessories, I've been rather prolific (for me, anyway).
It's been just about a month and a half since my last creative check in. A lot has happened in that time, most notably the arrival of our newest family member. In a flurry of last minute nesting, I finished a few projects, and in the wake of postpartum life and Nicholas home on parental leave, I've finished (and modified, more on that below) a couple more items. Completion of things will naturally be slower, of course, since our hands are more full these days, but I wanted to document and share what I've been working on.
As part of the nesting of late pregnancy, I find myself eager to wrap up a few projects, and work on some to get them into a place where they don't require a lot of mental energy. I know my making time will be reduced and will look wildly different in these coming months, but I want to have a few things "on the go," so to speak, so I can knit a few stitches here and there, should the opportunity arise. And, before baby boy's arrival, I wanted to share some recently finished projects, as well as what I'm currently working on.