I haven't posted a recipe in quite awhile, but I wanted to share a meal that been in frequent rotation for the DeVries family lately. It's fast, satisfying, served in a bowl, and colorful, and these are a few of my favorite things. Also, the heat index in Austin today is like, 108 degrees, so....the less time I spend heating up the kitchen, the better.
Turkey, Kale, & Sweet Potato Skillet
modified from Primavera Kitchen
2 T avocado or olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
a few handfuls of kale, chopped + stems removed (spinach or other dark leafy greens would also work)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small(ish) cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth (water is okay too)
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika to taste
1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
sea salt, to taste
parsley, dried or fresh
shredded mozzarella cheese, optional for serving
D I R E C T I O N S :
- Chop all veggies in advance. Things will proceed quickly once you heat up the pan. ;)
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat and add oil until hot. Add turkey and garlic/garlic powder and break it up, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Add onions and saute until slightly soft.
- Add kale, sweet potato, salt, spices, and broth or water to skillet (the extra liquid speeds the cooking of the kale and sweet potato). Mix well and cover.
- Check doneness of sweet potato every minute or so, stirring, until they are fork tender. Add more salt to taste, if needed. I usually add another sprinkle of smoked paprika here too. Once the potatoes are cooked, add parsley.
- Remove from heat, serve into bowls (add cheese if you're into that) and enjoy your one-bowl meal with a side of your favorite crackers.